Everybody knows we Black women are sensitive about our hair, extended or homegrown.
But your fear of new growth is absolutely no excuse for not taking your personal fitness seriously. If it’s the difference between hypertension and some 1B yaki, the choice is pretty easy to me.
Break out the headscarf and consider these alternatives if you plan to hit the gym regularly:
1. Braids – Cornrows with extensions and microbraids are good protective styles. They’re not as easy to sweat out, and they’re timeless.
2. Big Chop – Short, natural hair is super low maintenance, and can really bring out your features. Baldy Solange>>>Weavy Solange
3. Wigs – You can always cornrow your own hair back, or tie it in a low bun. No one has to know what lies beneath but you!
4. Weaves – Properly installed weaves can be a great protective style, even promoting hair growth. Unlike a wig that you can just prop on the dresser when you get home though, it’s particularly important you invest in the best weaving hair to extend the life of the style.
5. Relaxer – Permies shouldn’t have any excuses. After a chemical relaxer, your hair can’t revert back to its original state, so put your hair in a ponytail, cover it with a scarf, & register for today’s Zumba class.
The Wii Fit fervor has died down significantly, but I encourage everybody to dust off their machines, pick up a few new games, and play!! Read more
When it comes to food, weight loss, & maintenance, it’s all about calories consumed vs. calories expended. It’s very simple math, & as long as you keep a log of what you’ve been eating, you’ll find that a burger or fries every once in a while won’t necessarily be the death of you.
I eat McDonald’s & Burger King on a fairly frequent basis, however I never eat Big Macs, Triple Whoppers (I just noticed this atrocity on the menu the other day) or any other “super” sandwich. Instead, I’m the lone grown woman who orders a happy meal with no children in tow.
I get the satisfaction of a hamburger (no cheese), apple fries/dippers, & even a small fry on occasion. Nobody ever said Diet Coke was good for you, but remember we’re dealing w/numerics here, and diet registers as a caloric zero.
There’s no earthly reason to Super Size anything, and you should really be thankful when the employee stiffs you on the fries &/or salt!